We’ve got bad news. We’re shutting down on March 31st.
We did everything we could to find a way to keep Smart Host alive. But we failed. We couldn’t close enough sales to reach profitability before running out of cash. We reasoned that if we lowered price below short-term profitability, producing better sales numbers, we could raise more money. But we still couldn’t close enough sales.
The last 3 years have been a wild ride. We started Smart Host on a bus, headed down to Techstars with little more than a hackathon project, sold our product, and raised money. We’re disappointed that we couldn’t turn that momentum into a successful business, but we’re proud of what we accomplished.
Thank you for helping us along the way, especially:
- Our customers and investors, who took on substantial risk for our small company.
- Ben Edwards, who flew down to Austin off a cold call.
- StartupBus and Techstars, which are really the only reasons we exist.
- Our StartupBus teammates, Wylie Conlon, who came up with the idea, and Cesar Kuriyama, who drew the logo.
- And our former co-workers: Tom Davidoff, Sophie Hobson, Kumar Laidley, Leo Medina, Steve Atlas, and Chris Rosett.
Take part in the great adventure of your time,
-- Evan, Dave, and Nick
PS: Want to know what we’re up to next?